Friday, June 27, 2008

The Right To Bear Arms


I'm sure you've heard about the court case regarding the right to bear arms. What I don't understand is why people are so dead set on allowing others to have weapons. I'm not talking about small guns or rifles here, I'm talking about automatic weapons where the entire purpose of their creation was to kill other human beings.

Another thing I don't understand is why we can't just create some sort of gun control bill that works. They say "Gun don't kill people, people kill people." Yeah, okay, fine. That's great except that we keep giving guns to the people that kill people. There has GOT to be a better way to deal with this. I wish I could find statistics where someone successfully "defended" their home with a gun (that's not from the 17 or 1800's).

The entire purpose of guns is to kill people. Sure you can go hunting, but why do you need to hunt with the same weapons that armies use? Because "it's your right?" Don't be stupid. If the Bill of Rights were to be rewritten today there would be no provision that people have a right to stockpile weapons. This isn't the 1700's. We don't have threats rollings in to town trying to overthrow us these days. And we're pretty well connected, if something happens in New York we're not going to have to really on local residents to form a militia (unless Skynet achieves awareness). It's outdated and we don't need it. Now I'm all for freedom and I don't think that the government should force something on you, but I think you have to admit we have a problem here.

How many times have you heard about someone walking into a public space or a school and just shooting people for no apparent reason. Then we find out the they "didn't take their medication." Okay well there's a problem. If a side effect of you not taking medication is that you murder people I think it's fair to say that that person should not have access to guns or any other weapon. I'm sorry but that's a safety issue and no, I don't think it takes it to far or violates your rights.

Where are we going with this? What is it going to take to make people realize that guns should not be readily available to anyone who wants them? Come on NRA and gun advocates tell me that stricter rules and limiting access to guns is a bad idea?

DiggIt!Add to del.icio.usAdd to Technorati Faves

No comments: