Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Election and Gas Tax

Well this post is a little different from yesterdays, but that's what this blog is about. So here we go...

Here we are, at yet another presidential primary and there's little to say that's positive. Let us remember that all three candidates have teams of professionals who are crafting their images and their voices so everything should be taken with a grain of salt. But what is it that they are putting out there to the public?

John McCain, to me, seems to come off well. I just don't agree with many of his or his parties ideologies. I feel that he is a good senator and a great asset to the American government and feel that McCain will do what he thinks is in the best interest for the United States and the people. It's just that what McCain thinks is best and what I think is best aren't usually the same. It does look to me though that McCain has the edge in this election overall.

Barack Obama is cast as a young new pioneer who can bring change to the US (whatever change that may be). To me, Obama sounds like a straight talker and someone who does not have all the ties and corruptions that often way down many politicians. It's true he doesn't have the experience of the other candidates (though I don't think Hillary has an enormous amount where it counts either), but I think he's the right guy at the right time. I truly believe that he wants to be President for the right reasons. I hope Obama can lead us where we need to be.

Hillary Clinton though...I just don't care for her. I am a New Yorker and I don't like that fact that she just decided to up and move to New York and claim to be a New Yorker. Okay, fine, it's all about politics and career advancement and NY is a great platform, I get that. What I do have a problem with is when she claims to be a diehard fan of NY sports teams, claiming she lost her voice after rooting for the Giants and the like, though that's more of a personal peeve. Hillary though has often resorted to whatever it takes to win, which while you can argue that is a good thing because she's a fighter she comes off negative no matter what it is that she does. And while I liked Bill Clinton...it's just that, I liked Bill Clinton. It doesn't mean I have to like Hillary. I personally feel that she's in the race for legacy, not for the betterment of the United States.

Now let me just throw in a little bit about this proposed "gas tax relief plan." McCain and Clinton back it. Obama and I do not. I don't see gas prices coming down, so any federal tax relief here will only hurt the economy more in my opinion. If gas reached $5 will you buy it? Would you not then buy gas at $5.18? The effect on the wallets of most Americans will be minimal, but the effect of losing that income to the government will be disastrous (okay, maybe not disastrous) and will do more harm in the long run. This looks like a ploy by the candidates to me to say "Hey America I'm just like you, look I'm helping you out!" and win some votes with "blue collar America." This is an example of doing something for professional and/or personal advancement, not the betterment of America. Obama, I applaud you for not supporting this.

DiggIt!Add to del.icio.usAdd to Technorati Faves

No comments: